Psy.D., Psychologist FSP
Life presents challenges every day. While some are exciting and stimulating, others can feel scary, painful, confusing, or frustrating. I provide support in navigating difficult transitions, decreasing stress, and creating opportunities for growth and healing via:
- Therapy and Personal Counselling for adults: individuals, couples.
- Coaching and consultation
- Groups and Workshops
Common themes are cultural adjustment, depression, anxiety, trauma, eating and body issues.
Payment is self-pay or in some cases can also be arranged via insurance.
In my work I draw on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, ACT (Acceptance Commitment Therapy), EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), Body/Gestalt Therapy, mindfulness, body awareness and creative expression.
Together we explore the links between your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors to gain insight into your patterns. We may clarify possible historical connections to these old patterns and how these “personal stories” were created and reinforced. Then we consider the current degree of helpfulness of your behavioral responses.
Drawing from body awareness, gestalt exercises, creative activities and conversations, we seek to build your awareness and your ability to find authentic ways of expressing your current feelings and thoughts.
The goal is to connect with your own voice and use your own strengths and abilities, to make active choices about how you respond to the present. Each step allows you to co-create your own “story” for the future.
Although Dutch by nationality, I began my life in Curaçao and spent most of my childhood in Bermuda. From my late teens on, I lived a significant portion of my life in the United States. There I completed my education, began my career, and met my Swiss husband. Together we returned to Europe. We finally settled and started a family in Switzerland in 2003.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) In Psychology & Studio Art, Kenyon College, USA
- Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D.), Wright State University, USA
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA
- I have worked in various settings in both the United States and the Netherlands.
- I began my private practice in 2009, and created C2 (Caring Together) with Dr. Frei in 2017.
- As of 2019, I am training to be a psychotherapist at the Institute of Body Psychotherapy (IBP) in Switzerland.